The Lithuanian Citizens’ Society offers and sponsors a number of cultural programs that bring opportunities for members of the local Lithuanian community to learn more about their heritage and keep abreast of current events in Lithuania.
- Lithuanian Independence Commemoration
- Jonines– St. John’s Day and Mid-summer’s Eve celebration at the Lithuanian Country Club
- Kucios– Christmas Eve Celebration with traditional foods
- Christmas Party– Celebrated in conjunction with Kucios
- Pittsburgh Folk Festival performances and display booth
- August Pig Roast
- Oktoberfest pot-luck picnic
Beginning with the Fall of 1999, the Citizens’ Society has brought several performing groups from Lithuania to Pittsburgh to share their ethnic musical traditions. The groups have included: Saule from Siauliai University (visited Pittsburgh 2 different years), Sutaras, the children’s choral group Rokoko, and Aitvaras. Recent entertainment for our 100th Anniversary Celebration was provided by the Lithuanian ethnic ensemble Biru Bar from Indianapolis.
Please visit the following links to learn learn more about various aspects of Lithuanian culture:
- Lithuanian Dance Information Centre– The main trends of the Public Institution Lithuanian Dance Information Center (LDIC) cover the dissemination of dance in Lithuania and abroad, organization of festivals, concert and educational programmes, producing and information activities.
- Lithuanian Folk Instruments– History and description of various Lithuanian folk instruments.
- Lithuanian Folk Song Music– The music and words to various Lithuanian folk songs.
- Lithuanian Poetry– The works of numerous Lithuanian poets.
- Mikalojus Konstatinas Ciurlionis– The art and life of famous Lithuanian artist and composer, Mikalojus Ciurlionis
- Kulturos Paveldo Centras– Centre for Lithuanian Cultural Heritage
- Lithuanian-American Council– Largest organization of Lithuanian Americans. Works to preserve Lithuanian cultural identity and to nurture its development. Their goal is to persuade everyone of Lithuanian descent to enrich their lives with their heritage.
- Lithuanian World Center– A community center in Lemont, IL serving the social, cultural and spiritual needs of people of ethnic Lithuanian descent.
- Lithuanian Heritage Magazine– A high-quality bimonthly publication in English for people who wish to keep abreast of events in Lithuania and learn about the country, its history and culture.
- Lithuanian Sculpture, Crosses and Shrines– A site dedicated to promoting sculpture, crosses and shrines located in various museums across Lithuania.
- Lithuanian Wooden Church Architecture – History, descriptions and photos of old wooden church buildings in Lithuania